Effect of Interventional Programme on Enhancing Empowerment Status through Decision Making Skills of Tribal Working Women in Utnoor Mandal Adilabad District, India
Current Journal of Applied Science and Technology,
Empowerment of tribal women is one of the central issues in the process of development all over the world. Empowerment is the process that allows one to gain the knowledge and attitude needed to cope with the changing world and the circumstances in which one lives . Women empowerment is a process in which women gain greater share of control over material, human and intellectual resources as well as control over decision-making in their home, community, society and nation. Given the need to analyze the empowerment status of tribal women, the present study aimed to enhance the empowerment status through enhancing decision-making skills of tribal working women in India. The specific objective is to study the impact of intervention on enhancing status of empowerment through decision-making skills of tribal working women in Utnoor Mandal Adilabad district. The total sample population for the study was 50 tribal working women, and data was analyzed using a paired t test. Results revealed that at pretest, majority of the women were at average level of decision-making skills (78%), 12% were at low level and only 10% were at high level. After the intervention, post test results revealed that 74% of the women were high in decision making skills and remaining 26% were at average level. Interestingly, none of the respondents had low level of life skills. Thus, intervention found to be effective among women respondents to develop and enhance their empowerment status through decision-making skills.
- decision-making skills
- tribal women
How to Cite
Karimli L, Lecoutere E, Wells CR, Ismayilova L. More assets, more decision-making power? Mediation model in a cluster-randomized controlled trial evaluating the effect of the graduation program on women's empowerment in Burkina Faso. World Development. 2021;137:105159.
Anderson CL, Reynolds TW, Biscaye P, Patwardhan V, Schmidt C. Economic benefits of empowering women in agriculture: Assumptions and evidence. The Journal of Development Studies, 2021;57(2):193-208.
Mehta M, Saraswat S. Decision making pattern of working and nonworking women in family affairs. Shrinkhala. 2014;1(6):33-38.
Anwar B, Shoaib M, Javed S. Women’s autonomy and their role in decision making at Household Level: A case of Rural Sialkot, Pakistan. World Applied Sciences Journal. 2013;23(1):129-136
Sultana AM. Factors effect on women autonomy and decision-making power within the household in rural communities. Journal of Applied Sciences Research. 2011;7(1):18-22.
Acharya DR, Bell JS, Simkhada P, Teijlingen ER, Regmi PR. Women's autonomy in household decision-making: A demographic study in Nepal. Reproductive Health. 2010;7.
Pradeep ST, Vidya GS, Krishnaveni YS. Empowerment and reproductive women: An Exploratory Research. National Journal of Community Medicine. 2018; 9(7).
Hoque M, Itohara Y. Participation and decision-making role of rural women in economic activities: A comparative study for members and non-members of the micro-credit organizations in Bangladesh. Journal of Social Sciences. 2008;4(3):229-236.
Rashid MU, Islam MM. Women’s participation in family decision making in Dumki Upazila of Patuakhali District. The Agriculturists A Scientific Journal of Krishi Foundation. 2010;9(1&2): 137-142.
Mumtaz Z, Salway SM. Gender, pregnancy and the uptake of antenatal care services in Pakistan. Sociology of Health and Illness. 2007;29:1– 26.
Abstract View: 55 times
PDF Download: 20 times